Phillip Island MotoGP test times – Tuesday (Final)
The official Honda, Yamaha and Ducati MotoGP teams continued their final pre-season test at Phillip Island on Tuesday.
The special test has been arranged to avoid a repeat of last year’s Australian Grand Prix tyre problems for the MotoGP and Moto2 classes.
Caught out by the new high-grip asphalt, a compulsory mid-race bike swap was required for MotoGP (Bridgestone tyres), while the Moto2 race (Dunlop tyres) was significantly shortened.
Fresh from their announcement to run under Open class regulations for 2014, Ducati Team riders Andrea Dovizioso and Cal Crutchlow are present, alongside Yamaha Factory Racing’s Jorge Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi, plus Repsol Honda’s Dani Pedrosa.
Bridgestone has brought two 2013 specification rear tyres and six new experimental tyres with changes to construction, compound and shape. However not all riders are testing the same tyres on the same days.
Bridgestone explained it’s initial day two plan as follows: Mid-length (15 lap) runs in the morning and possibly race simulations (27 lap) in the afternoon. Test tyres [rather than the 2013 event tyres] only today.
But with track temperatures soaring to over 50 degrees, the afternoon schedule was amended: Riders [have] spent a bit more time tuning their setup to the conditions. Only 14 lap runs today, full race simulations tomorrow.
Almost all of the fastest Tuesday laps were set in the morning – the exception being Rossi, who moved from fifth to fourth (+0.383s) on his penultimate lap of the day. Team-mate Lorenzo was again fastest, but just 0.08s quicker than on day one. The Spaniard was seen on track trying a new, unpainted, fairing.
Pedrosa’s team-mate and reigning world champion Marc Marquez is missing a second test due to the broken leg suffered in a dirt track training accident. The Marc VDS and Mapfre Aspar teams are in attendance for Moto2.
Testing began at 9:30am, finished at 5:30pm and restarts for the final day on Wednesday morning.
The MotoGP teams not testing in Australia will hold their final pre-season outing at Qatar from March 7-9. The final Moto2 test will be at Jerez from March 11-13.
CLICK HERE for pictures from the test.
1. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Yamaha Factory Racing (YZR-M1) 1m 29.133s [42 laps / 335.4km/h top speed]
2. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 29.381s | +0.248s [58 / 332.3]
3. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici) 1m 29.387s | +0.254s [53 / 342.9]
4. Valentino Rossi ITA Yamaha Factory Racing (YZR-M1) 1m 29.516s | +0.383s [75 / 340.7]
5. Cal Crutchlow GBR Ducati Team (Desmosedici) 1m 29.660s | +0.527s [59 / 337.5]
6. Esteve Rabat ESP Marc VDS Racing (Kalex) 1m 32.168s | +3.035s [101 / 282]
7. Mika Kallio FIN Marc VDS Racing (Kalex) 1m 32.698s | +3.565s [79 / 282.7]
8. Nico Terol ESP Mapfre Aspar Team (Suter) 1m 33.014s | +3.881s [62 / 282.7]
9. Jordi Torres ESP Mapfre Aspar Team (Suter) 1m 33.160s | +4.027s [65 / 277.6]
Blue = Factory class – Control ECU hardware, but unique manufacturer software.
20 litres of race fuel, five engine changes for the season. All engines must be identical throughout the year, within the same team (development freeze).
Red = Open class – Full control ECU system, hardware and software.
24 litres of race fuel, twelve engine changes for the season. No engine development freeze, plus a softer rear tyre allocation relative to the Factory class.
Black = Moto2 class .
Fastest Day 1 time:
Jorge Lorenzo ESP Yamaha 1m 29.213s
Official Phillip Island MotoGP records:
Jorge Lorenzo ESP Yamaha 1m 27.899s (2013)
Fastest race lap:
- Superbike World Championship
- 2011 Ducati 1198 SP Review –
- 2002 Ducati Monster 620 i.e.: MD Riding Impression …
- Ducati launches customization contest for new Monster 1100 S – Autoblog